Sunday, January 9, 2011
Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad Recipe
The Rice Recipes kitchen (The home of delicious Rice Recipes) invites you to try Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad recipe. Enjoy rice cooking recipes and learn how to make Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad.
Wild rice is actually a grass seed grown primarily in the upper Midwest and is not at all related to actual rice. Regardless, its shape and toasty flavor lend it well to dishes where rice is also popular. This wild rice and chicken salad is a perfect example, where wild rice gives the dish texture and nut-like undertones that perfectly complement the dish. Serve this salad as a brunch or lunch dish or with dinner rolls for a light supper.
1-2/3 cups wild rice
3-1/3 cups water
1 6-1/4-ounce package chicken-flavored rice pilaf
4-1/2 cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
8 ounces fresh pea pods, trimmed, strings removed, and pods cut into thin bite-size strips
1 cup bottled lemon-pepper salad dressing or vinaigrette
1/4 cup bottled French salad dressing
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bunches green onions (about 10 total), cut into thin strips*
Fresh pea pods (optional)
1. Rinse wild rice well. Bring the water to boiling in a large saucepan. Add wild rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Drain, if necessary.
2. Meanwhile, cook rice pilaf according to the package directions.
3. Combine the wild rice, rice pilaf, chicken, sweet pepper, and pea pods strips in a large bowl.
4. Stir together salad dressings and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour over rice mixture. Stir gently to mix. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
5. To serve, arrange green onions around edges of 6 to 8 chilled salad plates. Spoon rice mixture into center. Garnish each plate with additional pea pods, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
6. *NOTE: If you want to curl the green onions, place the green onion strips in ice water for 20 minutes; drain well.
Similar Rice Recipes:
Wild Rice and Cucumber Salad
Cream of Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
Roasted peppers & wild rice
Wild rice, cranberry and walnut salad
Garlic mushrooms with wild rice salad
Simple Chicken and Rice
Save and share Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.