|Chicken Pot Pie|
2 tablespoon butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ tsp dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1/3 cup flour
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (16oz)
3 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 can of cream of chicken soup
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried parsley
Canned biscuits (12oz)
1 stalk of green onions, finely chopped
1. Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, thyme, sage, ¼ black pepper, and celery. Sautee until onions are tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
2. Add flour; cook and stir 1-2 minutes. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking 4-6 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens.
3. Microwave frozen vegetables according to bag instructions and stir in Dutch oven. Add rice, chicken and parsley; cook stirring 2-3 minutes more.
4. Preheat oven to bake 425 degrees.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix cream of chicken, parmesan, dried basil, salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and dried parsley until thoroughly mixed. Add to Dutch oven and stir. [Here’s a fun tip: At this point, this will make an excellent chicken pot pie soup!]
6. Note: this may be prepared one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.
7. Spray 9x13 pan with Pam and pour mixture into pan.
8. Cut each biscuit into fourths and place on top of casserole, spacing evenly. Top with green onions.
9. Bake in oven for 20 minutes until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately. Also tastes excellent the second day.
Happy pot-pie’ing. Post by The Women Bloggers/Riceland blogger Lyndi Fultz of nwaFoodie.